Saturday, April 4, 2015

A Two Garage Sale Friday

It seemed like all of the Friday estate sales yesterday were being held in other cities so we decided to check out a couple of large garage sales in Duane's part of town.  It actually worked out pretty well.  The first sale yielded items for Duane and for me.  I bought yarn, some knitting looms, and a packet of a rainbow of colors of embroidery floss.  (I have a project that's been on my list that requires floss.)  Duane found some pretty Bob Mackie dinnerware, some stainless steel cooking utensils and a Michael Kors dust bag for the Michael Kors handbag that she purchased gently used from a thrift shop.  Linda snagged a nice one with a used Dolce & Gabbana bag.  Very soft leather that should polish up nicely if she chooses to do that or use it as is for a casual worn look.

I mentioned that I needed embroidery floss for a project.  This is still a little ways down my list but I bought a pattern to make an embroidery wall hanging of David Bowie from his Ziggy Stardust era.  Here's what the finished product looks like from designer Heidi Hengel-Nieling on her blog Speckless

Not your grandma's embroidery!

Heidi also sells the pattern for this project on her Etsy site.  You can purchase this and other items here.  I purchased the pattern a few months ago but finally realized when I came across that package of embroidery thread that it was time to start moving.  I already have a wood 9 inch embroidery hoop I can use.  I'm not sure about learning to make the Shisha mirrored parts but I may as well give it the old college try.  I have to brush up on the different embroidery stitches but, thanks to the Internet, that won't be hard to do.  As for colors, I'll probably stick pretty close to the ones Heidi used.  Who knows what may overtake me when I finally pierce the fabric with my needle.

Below is a pic of the items we all purchased.  As usual, we had treats afterward and caught up on our activities from the past week.  Until next time...
 
Our buys.

2 comments:

  1. That is one cool embroidery project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Dana! Now I just have to see how long it will take me to make it. :)

      Delete