Monday, September 11, 2017

Solids and Stripes for Love-Squared Challenge!

I've posted here before about knitting and crocheting squares for different organizations to be made into blankets for children at homeless shelters in the winter.  One of my favorite sites is Love-Squared which is based in Michigan.  They have a network of volunteers who sew the donated squares into blankets and distribute them across shelters in Michigan and other states.  They've been having a 'challenge' to see which type of square they receive the most -- solid or striped.  Both are very welcome -- this is just for fun.  

My stash in July.

I've been switching back and forth between knitting and crocheting 8" by 8" squares for months.  The pic above was what I had accumulated by July.  Since then I've added more squares to the pile whenever I have some spare time to work on them.  The pic below is the pile I have now.  There are 23 in this pile and I'm working on number 24.

23 finished squares as of today.

If you have some time -- and can 'spare a square' -- this is a great way to contribute to a worthy cause. I usually send extra skeins of yarn along with my squares to be used to seam the squares into blankets but you can just send squares or even skeins of yarn you aren't using.  From one to hundreds, Love-Squared gratefully accepts all squares.  I wouldn't suggest using cotton yarn due to shrinkage when washed (the water might NOT be cold!) but any type of acrylic or acrylic blend works nicely.

The deadline for this 'challenge' is September 30th but they need squares all year-round.  The solids vs. stripes is really just for fun although Love-Squared will post which type 'wins' with the most donated.  Here is their site on Facebook -- Love-Squared.  You can find everything you need to know to help out this wonderful group!  Now, back to knitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment